So far, so good for PBA scrimmages
MANILA, Philippines — PBA commissioner Willie Marcial will meet with government entities within the week to discuss the progress of the teams’ ongoing training sessions in Batangas, Ilocos Norte and Pampanga.
Marcial is expected to update executives from the Games and Amusements Board (GAB), the Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) and Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) of the smooth-running closed-circuit scrimmages teams have been conducting.
“Ang ganda ng tinatakbo namin (Practices have been running well),” Marcial told The STAR.
He reported that out of 300 team personnel taking part in the practices since last month, only two tested positive and were immediately subjected to health protocols.
“This means nadidisplina ng mga teams yung ranks nila (Teams are disciplined and following health guidelines throughout the practices),” said Marcial.
The pro league hopes the low incidence of COVID-19 cases in the scrimmages will boost its bid to open Season 46 soon.
“Last week of June or first week of July pa rin ang target namin,” said Marcial.
The teams may have to continue practicing out-of-town, though, as NCR will still be under general community quarantine (GCQ) “with restrictions” until June 30.
As such, only “non-contact” activities will be allowed in gyms in the capital.