Signal No. 2 up in 12 areas due to Tropical Storm Dante
MANILA, Philippines — Several areas in the country were placed under Tropical Cyclone Wind Signal (TCWS) No. 2 as tropical storm Dante moved west northwestward while over the Philippine sea, the state weather service said Tuesday.
In its 8 a.m. bulletin, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) said Dante could make its initial landfall in Eastern Samar or Leyte between Tuesday afternoon and evening.
Pagasa hoisted TCWS No. 2 in the following areas where strong wings to gale-force winds could be expected within 24 hours:
- eastern portion of Masbate (Mobo, Uson, Dimasalang, Cawayan, Palanas, Cataingan, Placer, Pio V. Corpuz, Esperanza, including Ticao Island)
- eastern portion of Albay (Legazpi City, Manito, Santo Domingo, Bacacay, Rapu-Rapu)
- Eastern Samar
- Northern Samar
- the northern and central portions of Leyte including Matag-Ob, Villaba, Ormoc City, Albuera, Burauen, Macarthur, Javier, Abuyog, La Paz, Mayorga, Tolosa, Dulag, Tabontabon, Julita, Tanauan, Dagami, Pastrana, Palo, Tacloban City, Babatngon, Alangalang, Santa Fe, Barugo, Tunga, Jaro, San Miguel, Carigara, Kananga, Tabango, Leyte, Calubian, Capoocan, San Isidro)
- eastern portion of Southern Leyte (Silago, Hinunangan, Hinundayan, Anahawan)
- northern portion of Dinagat Islands (Tubajon, Libjo, Loreto, Cagdianao)
- Bucas Grande Islands
Meanwhile, the following areas are expected to have strong winds within 36 hours.
- Camarines Sur
- Camarines Norte
- the rest of Albay
- the rest of Masbate including Burias Island
- the eastern portion of Romblon (San Fernando, Cajidiocan, Magdiwang, Romblon
eastern portion of Quezon (Catanauan, Mulanay, San Francisco, San Narciso, San Andres, Buenavista Guinayangan, Tagkawayan, Calauag, Lopez, General Luna, Macalelon, Quezon, Alabat, Gumaca, Perez including Polillo Islands)
- northeastern portion of Capiz (Panay, Pontevedra, President Roxas, Roxas City, Pilar)
- northeastern portion of Iloilo (Sara, Concepcion, San Dionisio, Batad, Estancia, Carles, Balasan)
- northern portion of Cebu (Tuburan, Danao City, Carmen, Catmon, Sogod, Tabuelan, Tabogon, San Remigio, Borbon, City of Bogo, Medellin, Daanbantayan, Compostela, Liloan, including Bantayan and Camotes Islands)
- northeastern portion of Bohol (Talibon, Bien Unido, Ubay, Mabini, Pres. Carlos P. Garcia)
- the rest of Leyte
- the rest of Southern Leyte
- Agusan del Norte
- the northern portion of Agusan del Sur (Sibagat, City of Bayugan, Prosperidad, San Francisco)
Surigao del Sur (Barobo, Lianga, San Agustin, Marihatag, Cagwait, Bayabas, Tago, City of Tandag, Cortes, San Miguel, Carrascal, Cantilan, Madrid, Lanuza, Carmen, Hinatuan, Tagbina)
- the rest of Surigao del Norte
The center of Tropical Storm Dante was last spotted at 270 km East of Maasin City, Southern Leyte, Pagasa said.
Dante was packing a maximum sustained winds of 75 kilometers per hour (km/h) near the center and has a gustiness of up to 90 km/h.