National

COVID-19 claims lives of 5 more persons in Quezon

COVID-19 claims lives of 5 more persons in Quezon

LUCENA CITY –– Five more COVID-19 patients died in Quezon province on Wednesday, May 5. These include two older persons in the island town of Quezon, health officials said.

The Integrated Provincial Health Office (IPHO) reported that aside from the 92-year-old male and 70-year-old female, three more confirmed virus carriers, one each in the cities of Lucena and Tayabas and the municipality of Guinayangan, succumbed to the illness.

The COVID-19 death toll in the province now stands at 416. The IPHO records showed that 18 COVID-19 patients died from May 1 to 5.

Last month, the province recorded 114 fatalities and 28 in March.

Meanwhile, Mayor Noel Angelo Devanadera of Sampaloc town has tested positive for COVID-19, the local government announced on social media on Wednesday.

The report said Devanadera has been under quarantine in an undisclosed facility.

As of May 5, Quezon, which is under general community quarantine, has logged 10,825 COVID-19 cases since March last year, 864 of which are still active.

Of the remaining active cases, Lucena topped the list with 106, a big leap from the seven active cases on March 7.

The province has 347 new cases since May 1. In April, 2,276 COVID-19 cases were recorded. This is several times more than the 825 cases in March and 342 in February.

Quezon Gov. Danilo Suarez has appealed for the public’s cooperation in following safety protocols to curb the rise in COVID-19 cases in the province.INQ

LZB

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .