Anne Curtis, Angelica Panganiban, fellow Kapamilya stars recall witnessing ABS-CBN shutdown
Anne Curtis, Angelica Panganiban and other Kapamilya celebrities recounted the day they had to witness the ABS-CBN shutdown, as a year has passed after the network was denied its franchise.
“It’s been a year since we were all left in disbelief. Maraming salamat sa mga loyal Kapamilya who continue to support ABS-CBN,” Curtis said on her Twitter page yesterday, May 5. (Thank you to all loyal Kapamilya fans who continue to support ABS-CBN.)
She also showed a poster with the words “Isang taon na” and “#ABSCBNShutdown.”
It’s been a year since we were all left in disbelief. Maraming Salamat sa mga loyal Kapamilya who continue to support ABSCBN na patuloy gumagawa ng paraan para makapaglingkod, makapamahagi ng impormasyon, balita at makapagbigay saya sa pamilyang Pilipino saan mang parte ng mundo pic.twitter.com/ow1VAyg5Jt
— Anne Curtis-Smith (@annecurtissmith) May 5, 2021
Panganiban also shared the same poster that Curtis showed, to deliver a short statement on her Instagram page, also yesterday.
“Isang taon na. Binusalan at pinatayan ng kabuhayan. Hindi kami makakalimot,” she said. (It’s been a year. [We were] gagged and jobs were taken away. We will not forget.)
View this post on Instagram
Actress Ruffa Gutierrez also recalled how “heartbroken” she was to see the network shut down, through a Twitter post on the same day.
“Just when we thought there was a glimmer of hope that we can still continue to provide for our families and to others na umaasa sa atin (who are depending on us),” she said as she urged her fellow Kapamilya stars to “stay strong” and not lose hope that ABS-CBN will be back on air.
Cont. ▶️ Just when we thought there was a glimmer of hope that we can still continue to provide for our families and to others na umaasa sa atin.🥺I am heartbroken. 💔
To my ABS-CBN & “Love Thy Woman” family, stay strong & huwag tayong mawalan ng
pag-asa. #IbalikAngABSCBN pic.twitter.com/ysSJ37uvft
— Ruffa Gutierrez (@iloveruffag) May 5, 2021
Celebrities Kim Chiu, Carlo Aquino, Nikki Valdez and JM De Guzman also recalled the day that ABS-CBN halted its television and radio operations. Meanwhile, news anchor Bernadette Sembrano released the song “” to mark the controversial shutdown.
ABS-CBN was given a cease and desist order by the National Telecommunications Commission last year. Its bid for a network was denied in Congress on May 5, 2020. JB