Shanghai reports city's first death from China virus
People wearing masks arrive at Hongqioa train station as they head home for the Lunar New Year in Shanghai on January 23, 2020 – China placed the city at the centre of a virus outbreak under effective quarantine, suspending outward flights and trains in a drastic step to contain a contagious disease that has killed 17, stricken hundreds and reached other countries. (Photo by HECTOR RETAMAL / AFP)
SHANGHAI, China — China’s deadly viral contagion has killed one person in Shanghai, the city’s government said on Sunday, the first reported death in the country’s financial hub.
The victim was an 88-year-old man who was already suffering from pre-existing health problems, a Shanghai government statement said, adding that so far 40 total cases of infection have been confirmed in the city.