DFA: 9 Filipinos abroad have now died due to COVID-19
MANILA, Philippines — The number of Filipinos overseas who died from the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) has increased to nine, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) reported Monday.
According to DFA, five more Filipinos, all of whom were in Europe, succumbed to the highly contagious respiratory disease. DFA said there is a “relatively large OFW (overseas Filipino worker) presence” in the continent.
As of March 30, DFA said there are 348 Filipinos abroad who were found COVID-19 positive. Of this, 228 have been undergoing treatment, 111 have recovered or have been discharged, and nine have died.
DFA said 174 cases are in eight countries in the Asia Pacific Region, 48 cases in eight countries in the Middle East and Africa, 97 cases in 12 countries in Europe, and 29 cases in two countries in the United States.
“The DFA’s personnel in our foreign service posts face the challenges brought about by this disease together with our people abroad, and remain committed to ensuring their welfare,” DFA said.
#DFAAdvisory: As of 30 March 2020, there are now 203* countries, areas or territories around the world affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. A total of 348 OFs from 30 countries/ regions covering Asia and Pacific, Europe, Middle East/Africa, and Americas (1/3) pic.twitter.com/N8M85wpCW8
— DFA Philippines (@DFAPHL) March 30, 2020
In the Philippines, the as of Monday afternoon, including 78 deaths and 42 recoveries.
Globally, the virus already infected more than 723,300 people and killed more than 33,990 as of March 30. On the other hand, over 151,800 people have recovered so far from the disease, which was caused by a coronavirus named SARS-CoV-2 that first emerged in China’s Wuhan City in Hubei province in late 2019.
The World Health Organization has declared COVID-19 a pandemic.
For more news about the novel coronavirus click
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.