National

COVID-19 spike pushes Laoag City back to MECQ

COVID-19 spike pushes Laoag City back to MECQ

DAGUPAN CITY—The provincial government of Ilocos Norte will start to impose the stricter modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) in Laoag City on Friday (Nov. 27) until a surge in COVID-19 cases has been put under control.

In a statement on Wednesday (Nov. 25), Ilocos Norte Gov. Matthew Marcos Manotoc said the decision to impose MECQ was based on medical data and Department of Health guidelines. The city had been on modified general community quarantine.

Three fish vendors were the latest to get sick with COVID-19 in Laoag, the provincial capital. All did not show symptoms of the disease and are now on quarantine.

In his statement, the governor said basic services would continue to be available. The provincial government and the city government of Laoag, he said, “have been working together” to protect the people of the province and city.

“We will continue to do so until we overcome this pandemic,” he said.

The three vendors’ infection brings to 51 the number of COVID-19 cases in Ilocos Norte. At least 37 had recovered.

TSB