For actions after sea mishap: Award eyed for CG seaman
CEBU, Philippines — The Coast Guard District Central Visayas is mulling giving an award to Seaman First Class Ralph Barajan of the Coast Guard Southern Station for his actions that led to the safe evacuation and rescue of the passengers of the M/V Siargao Princess.
CGDCV-7 spokesman Lieutenant Junior Grade Michael John Encina said they cannot yet say what award they will present to Barajan, but they are sure to recognize him for his actions.
Encina said Barajan’s quick thinking and planning saved the lives of 58 people. However, he also credited others like the local government units of Naga, Carcar, Argao, and Sibonga, and the ship owner, among others, for helping complete the rescue.
He added that many of the survivors have already returned to Bohol Thursday evening, while Barajan is still resting after his ordeal.
Barajan was described by Encina as a good employee who was also previously awarded Coast Guard Personnel of the Year.
Coast Guard Station Southern Cebu deputy commandant, Ensign Ronnie Eras, said Barajan has been with them for three months. Before that he was assigned to the Coast Guard Mobile Team in Tan-awan, Oslob, Cebu, where he served as Personnel Officer-in-charge of the District Support Group.
Eras said Barajan was on his way back to his assignment when the accident happened. He also praised Barajan for what he did in keeping a cool head and sticking to his professional judgment during the incident.
“Job well done, ug sana maging role model siya nang lahat ng Coast Guard buong Pilipinas, dapat tularan ang kanyang ginawa sa lahat nang mga sakop ng Coast Guard” Eras said.
Barajan was not available for comment yesterday.
The M/V Siargao Princess just left Catagbacan Port in Loon, Bohol, bound for Sibonga Port in Sibonga last Thursday, when it capsized after being battered by big waves. — BANAT News/BRP (FREEMAN)